The Arbor Centre was engaged from an early stage to assess the proposed design and provide the inputs into successful mature tree retention for the School of Indigenous Studies Building at the University of Western Australia (UWA).
Providing Consultancy Services
Due to the significance of numerous existing Remnant Trees onsite, the Arbor Centre’s Consultancy expertise was sought by the client to provide assurance that the retention and management solutions provided were of the highest standard, delivered safely and in a cost-effective manner.
As part of the design process Consultation (that included Indigenous Elders, Architects, and Arboriculturists) our team was requested by UWA to create a design that was sympathetic and complimentary to the existing remnant trees on site, which included:
- Agonis flexuosa (WA Peppermint),
- Corymbia calophylla (Marri)
- Eucalyptus marginata (Jarrah)
Our team was contacted throughout the development to successfully protect and retain the existing remnant trees onsite.
The Arbor Centre Approach
This project was delivered in the following stages:
- We started with a ground-level visual tree assessment/survey of all the trees onsite. The preliminary design review provided inputs into where further investigations were required on ground.
The Arbor Centre undertook Rootzone investigations to ‘ground truth’ location of roots in relation to proposed structures and buildings.
- Based on findings, the proposed building alignments and some structures were modified to better accommodate the mature trees. Based on the final agreed design, site and Tree specific Tree Preservation Specifications were developed for the contractor to follow.
- The Arbor Centre then undertook 18 months of Arboricultural Supervision and works to subsequently allow the remnant trees to be successfully retained within the development.
Healthy remnant trees for years to come
Based on the various assessments, findings, Supervision and Works, the numerous remnant trees at the School of Indigenous Studies at the University of WA are able to be retained and managed healthily for many years to come.
As WA’s leading arborists and tree specialists, the Arbor Centre is proud of our contribution to help to retain trees of significance and heritage value within the urban environment and high profile locations such as The University of Western Australia.
The Arbor Centre has decades of experience in retaining and managing mature trees throughout Western Australia. We have a dedicated Arboricultural Consultancy team that are called upon by Local Government, Education Institutions, Developers and Landscape Architects to provide specialist support for trees in the urban environment.